This course will become available in 2024.
Description: Healthcare systems can be hard to access and navigate for patients, family members, and advocates. This 20 hour module provides sign language interpreters the foundational understanding of healthcare systems. It will cover the additional barriers Deaf, DeafBlind, and Hard of Hearing individuals experience and how those impact health outcomes. Through a systems approach interpreters can facilitate the connection between Deaf, DeafBlind, and Hard of Hearing individuals and healthcare systems.
- Identify rules, laws, and regulations that guide an interpreter’s work in healthcare settings.
- Express how an understanding of healthcare processes and discourse will benefit their interpreting in these settings.
- Analyze how different cultural perspectives and life experiences may affect a patient’s perspective of the healthcare system.
This module will require about 20 hours of work. There are no set meeting times. All work must be completed by 11:59pm on February 28.
- Resources and Support
- Systems Knowledge
- Navigating Healthcare Settings
- Scope of Practice: Becoming a Specialist
Modules are offered through Canvas online learning management system.
- You must have high-speed internet access and a tablet or computer that supports:
- Ability to work online and type or video record discussion posts.
- Ability to record videos.
- Ability to upload videos to YouTube for sharing with others in Canvas.
- Ability to access streamed video content.
Access to this module is free.
Webshops are offered on demand once opened. Enrollment will remain open until February 28.
Please note: This module requires 20 hours of work and must be completed by February 28.
All our self-directed tracks are open enrollment which means it is not limited to a specific number of participants.
Forgot your password? Click here to reset
To be eligible for CEUs you must complete the pre-assessment, watch all the videos, complete self-reflection activities and quizzes, and complete the post-assessment by 11:59pm on February 28th.
St. Catherine University is a RID-approved CMP sponsor. This webshop is approved for 2.0 professional studies CEUs.
CEUs will be posted by March 17, 2023.